Buying Guide: Best Shoes For Plantar Fasciitis – Top Reviews
If you feel a sharp pain in the heel when walking or running, it might be a sign that you have plantar fasciitis which is a very common foot problem. It is quite a painful condition that is not easy to get rid off once you get it.
The main or most noticeable symptom of this problem is a sharp pain around or near the heel. Although it is possible to treat it through surgery and therapy the best way to manage it is by always wearing the right shoes.
And the best thing is that there are plenty of options to choose from because almost all popular shoe brands have particular types of shoes for people with this problem. But, it is important to know the right kind of shoes for people with this condition and also how to choose the best among them.
Types Of Shoes That Can Support Your Plantar Fasciitis
Your plantar fascia is under a lot of pressure because it has to bear your weight as you stand or run and also the opposing force that comes from the ground. Things become even when worse if you have fasciitis, and without the right shoe, something as simple as stepping out of bed can be a very painful experience.
The right type of shoes for a person with this problem is the kind that can reinforce the feet and keep them in a proper alignment. Also, the shoes should minimize “windlass mechanism” which is what stresses the plantar fascia as you walk and also be able to cut down the load on the Achilles' tendon.
Many types of shoes can support your plantar fasciitis, but the right ones are those that have a design that allows them to support both the arch and heel as this is what eases the pain. It is important to know that those with a closed heel are the best shoes for plantar fasciitis as they will reduce pain. But, the right types are those that combine a supportive footbed with good support for the arch. A pair of shoe with soft silicone cushions on the heel will also cushion your heels and hence also give you the relief that you want.
Top 5 Best Women's Shoes For Plantar Fasciitis 2018
Top 5 Best Men's Shoes For Plantar Fasciitis 2018
Here Are Best Shoes For Plantar Fasciitis Reviews
1. ASICS Women's GEL-Contend 3 Running Shoe
The ASICS Contend 3 might not be the most stylish shoe on the market, but it is among the best running shoes for plantar fasciitis.
It provides ladies with impressive running performance, and its affordability means that they do not have to spend much. This running shoe is of synthetic material with a mesh upper for breathability and foam sole that gives it a solid base.
It comes with gel inserts and a contoured cushioning on the inside with extra foam for maximum comfort. The shoes also come in a variety of colors to give buyers many options.
- It has some extra cushioning to give the feet maximum support.
- The outer sole is sturdy enough and very durable.
- This shoe has some impressive color schemes that make it stand out.
- The lightly padded tongue and collar are perfect for the feet.
- It can handle most people’s weight regardless of how often they wear it.
- They do not require any break-in.
- These shoes are comfortable, and this makes them perfect for running for extended periods or long distances.
- The mesh upper is well-functioning and allows cooling and good airflow.
- The overlays are quite stiff and noticeable.
- It is heavier than most other plantar fasciitis shoes.
- Some people find the toe box a little bit narrow
- The shoe can be up to half a size smaller than what you are used to.
- The rear section is quite high, and so it will keep rubbing against the Achilles' tendon.
2. ASICS Women's GEL-Resolution 6 Tennis Shoe
The Resolution 6 Women's Tennis Shoe with Gel inserts from ASICS is a high-quality synthetic product that provides excellent support and maximum comfort when playing tennis.
It has a durable rubber sole that makes it sturdy and very durable while also giving it the ability to help ladies with plantar fasciitis.
The Lace-up shoe also features FlexionFit on the upper section which gives it support and a cushioning that is ideal for women. This shoe also has padding on the collar and tongue and gel cushioning in the forefoot and rare foot. You will not need to break-in the shoe because it comes ready to use and it is also available in numerous colors.
- The shoes have an awesome arch support.
- They are breathable to ensure comfort regardless of how long you wear them.
- These tennis shoes are very lightweight, and you will not even feel their weight.
- You do not need to break-in the shoe as it is comfortable enough from the box.
- Durable outsole is perfect for playing on a hard-court.
- The two-layer midsole gives users enhanced stability and cushioning.
- Pguard toe protector gives it extra durability.
- The collar and tongue also have some padding.
- The design of the toe box needs some improvement, and it is also quite tight.
- They do not have enough support laterally.
- Some people complain about the shoes rubbing against their ankle bone.
- A few ladies also say that they are stiffer than other types.
3. Skechers for Work Women's Sure Track Slip-Resistant Shoe
Skechers is one of the most reputable brands in the manufacture of shoes globally. The quality of their shoes is evident in this one which has a unique design to ensure maximum comfort and support for the working class woman.
It is a leather shoe that comes in either white or black shades, and you can wear it both indoors and outdoors. The track slip-resistant feature is one of its outstanding elements as it makes it suitable for use on wet grounds.
Wearing and removing this shoe is as easy as it can get because it is a slip-on. The Relaxed Fit gives it a roomy and comfortable fit while the FlexSole Midsole is perfect for absorbing shock.
- They are ideal for ladies that stand for many hours.
- The fit is perfect, and the shoes also feel very comfortable.
- It is a very long-lasting shoe thanks to the design and material.
- You can use it both indoors and outdoors.
- Padded inner section and a broad front make the shoes perfect for work.
- Slip resistant sole means that you can wear it even on a slippery surface.
- It is easy to remove or wear thanks to the slip-on design.
- These shoes will wear evenly, and this means that they will be comfortable throughout their lifetime.
- Perfect for keeping the feet dry and warm all day.
- Extra wide design means that ladies with narrow feet will need some extra insoles.
- Some women also find it quite pricey.
- There is no memory foam in the front part of this shoe.
- You only get to choose from two colors.
4. Vionic Women's Motion Venture Active Lace Up
The Venture is a synthetic fabric shoe that comes with a lightweight and breathable mesh on the upper section. This lace up shoe has some handmade overlays that give it a sporty appearance, and it also comes in a variety of bright color combinations.
The outer sole is a genuine and durable rubber, and it also plays and important part in giving the shoe excellent support. Apart from the attractive appearance this shoe also uses Orthaheel Technology and an orthotic footbed to give the feet a natural alignment, and this reduces over-pronation which helps to relieve heel pain.
- The durable mesh with some handmade overlays promotes breathability and gives the Vionic Women's shoe a sporty appearance.
- These shoes have a rubber sole that is durable and comfortable.
- Orthotic footbed will align your feet, and this can be helpful in relieving heel pain.
- You can use them both for work or walking.
- They are so lightweight that you will not even notice them on your feet.
- Impressive stitching and patterns make this a very attractive pair of shoe.
- The lace-up design enables you to adjust the shoe for a custom fit.
- Some ladies complain that the shoes start to come apart after a few months.
- Synthetic material is still not as durable as leather.
- The stitching is attractive, but it is not very durable.
- Most of the sizes seem to be a little larger than the standard ones.
- Arch is a little uncomfortable if you wear the shoes for long periods.
5. ASICS Men's GEL-Venture 5 Running Shoe
Men looking for running shoes that will never weigh them down should go for Venture 5 as it is a choice that they will not regret. Although most guys need different shoes for running on various surfaces, this one is suitable for use anywhere, and so you do not have to spend a fortune on numerous kinds of shoes. This shoe is lightweight and very comfortable thanks to its perfect fit and design.
Venture 5 is a synthetic/mesh shoe that is sturdy and very durable, and it has a rubber outsole. The rear foot gel cushioning and the supportive midsole make them the best shoes for plantar fasciitis, but they also have a removable sock liner which makes it possible to insert medical orthotics.
- This shoe delivers a precise fit for most men.
- Durability and sturdiness of this shoe will leave you a happy buyer.
- Venture 5 comes in a variety of attractive color schemes.
- The toe box is roomy enough to accommodate natural splaying of the toe.
- It has an arch support in the mid-sole which is perfect for those with plantar fasciitis.
- The outsole has an efficient grip that makes the shoe suitable for use in different environments.
- Gel Cushioning is useful for absorbing landing impact when you are running.
- Runners love the fact that the mid-sole foam carries the foot well and it does not break down quickly.
- Removable sock liner makes it possible to insert medical orthotics if you have foot issues.
- The perforated fabric on the upper part gives it impressive breathability.
- The stitching in the top section needs some improvement because some runners complain that it starts falling apart after some time.
- Venture 5 is a little bit narrow for some men.
- Some men do not like the fact that it is not locally made.
- They tend to slip on wet flat rocks which can be dangerous.
6. ASICS Men's GEL-Dedicate 4 Tennis Shoe
Comfort and stability are the two main principles behind the design of the Gel-Dedicate 4. This tennis shoe has a perfect fit and everything from the upper section to the outsole is of high quality and durable material.
The top part is pure leather with a mesh and perforated overlays for extra support and breathability. Lace-up closure gives you a custom and snug fit, but the padded footbed is what men with plantar fasciitis seem to love most. Gel Cushioning System is also an excellent addition to the shoe because it absorbs the impact that comes from stepping on a hard surface when playing tennis. And this is what makes it one of the best tennis shoes for plantar fasciitis.
To sum it all up, the Dedicate 4 does not require any break-in, and it is available in four different colors.
- Most men say that it fits as they expected.
- Gel cushioning system is an excellent addition to the shoes, and this is more so for guys with plantar fasciitis.
- Rubber sole provides enhanced traction and durability.
- Gel-Dedicate 4 is a very lightweight shoe.
- They are comfortable enough off the box and do not require any break-in.
- It is a genuine leather shoe with rubber outer sole, and so you can be confident of using it for many years.
- The mesh upper has perforated overlays to enhance breathability.
- The padded collar/tongue gives them some extra comfort.
- It is a laced shoe with some beautiful stitching on the upper section.
- There are no many options available when it comes to the colors.
- Insoles are not removable.
- Men with wider feet will find it too tight.
- Some guys complain that the front part wears down faster than the rest of the shoe.
- It is an imported pair of shoe.
7. KEEN Utility Men's Atlanta Cool Steel Toe Work Shoe
If you are on your feet all day and you have plantar fasciitis, Keen Utility is the shoe for you. It is a comfortable work shoe with mesh and leather upper section, and so you can be sure of maximum durability and breathability.
The 1.25-inch heel is just the right size for most men, and the rubber sole which is slip and oil resistant makes it suitable for use in most work environments. A dual density EVA midsole makes sure that this shoe give you maximum support all day and it also has asymmetrical toe boxes which are some of the things that you will love most when you buy the shoes.
- You can wear the shoe in almost any condition and use it on different surfaces.
- It is a lightweight shoe that will not subject your feet to unnecessary stress.
- The comfort and perfect fit are what makes it an excellent work shoe.
- Mesh liner ensures that it gives you maximum breathability.
- The outer sole has a good grip, and it is both slip and oil resistant.
- Padding on the shoe’s heel gives you some extra comfort.
- It is a stylish and fashionable shoe which makes it perfect for men that are sensitive about their appearance.
- The upper section is water and stain resistant which makes the shoe easy to clean.
- The lace-up closure will always give you a custom fit.
- Full-grain leather on the upper section is very durable.
- The heel does not offer enough ankle protection as it is only 1.25 inches tall.
- No-tie lace will require you to get used to them, and they also tend to loosen a lot.
- Some men find them too expensive.
8. Brooks Men's Addiction Walker Walking Shoes
Addiction Walker Waking shoe is unique not only in appearance and design but also how it fits and feels on your feet. It is comfortable enough even when you wear it all day at work or when walking for a few hours, and it also looks very stylish. This beautiful shoe is full-grain leather, and so you can be confident of comfort and durability.
Brooks Addiction Walker shoe gives you a strong support, and so it is perfect for those with plantar fasciitis. It has a slip-resistant synthetic sole which makes it ideal for wearing on any surface including wet ones. The Hydroflow on the rear and front foot will always give you excellent shock absorption, and if you also add in the energy efficient midsole, you have a comfortable everyday pair of shoe.
- It is an everyday shoe with the feel and fit of running shoes.
- The arch support is excellent, and this makes this a perfect shoe for men with feet problems.
- You can be confident of using it for many years as it is genuine leather.
- Hydroflow gives it excellent shock absorption and cushioning.
- The midsole is energy efficient, supportive and also very durable.
- Slip-resistant outer sole makes sure that you do not slip on wet surfaces and also increases the durability of the shoe.
- It is useful in keeping pronation under control and for supporting low arches.
- The cushioning needs some improvement.
- There are some complaints about the shoes being too tight or narrow.
- It is quite an expensive pair of walking shoes.
- This walking shoe is only available in three color options.
How To Choose The Best Shoes For Plantar Fasciitis
Choosing plantar fasciitis shoes is not as straightforward as most people might be tempted to think. In fact, for most people, it is a process of trial and error as they have to try out several pairs before they can find something that is also comfortable and gives them relief. But, just like with any other kind of shoes there are some things that you should consider so as to make sure that you choose the best sneakers for plantar fasciitis.
1. Intended Use Of The Shoe
The first thing that you should do when shopping for shoes for plantar fasciitis is to decide the intended purpose. You should decide on if you want something to support your feet when walking, working, playing tennis, exercising, running or doing any other activity.
It is important to know that they will apply a varying amount of pressure on your legs and so you need different types of shoes for each purpose. Also, if your work entails standing all day, you will need the best work boots for plantar fasciitis that can support your legs for many hours. Running, on the other hand, has a lot of hard impacts and so you need a shoe with excellent cushioning and a stable arch support.
2. Arch Support
It is hard to tell whether a shoe has the right arch support without trying it out. Due to this reason, it might be necessary to try out several types so that you can get one with the best arch support system. But, the simple rule is to make sure that whatever you choose has a firm heel counter which should also have a slight elevation because this helps to reduce the stress on the Achilles and keeps your foot aligned.
Most people have a tendency to buy shoes just because they look beautiful and feel comfortable and so they ignore important features such as the sole. The soles are even more important for people with plantar fasciitis because they will affect its comfort and the amount of support that the shoe will give you.
To make sure that the shoe is right for you the outer sole should be stiff as this indicates that it is supportive enough. The midsole on the plantar fasciitis shoes should be well padded and thick because cushioning is vital for the midsole so as to ensure that the footwear does not make the problem worse.
4. Toe Box
The toe box should be relatively firm as this will prevent excess bending, and its design should also aim at reducing the extension of the toe because this can stress the plantar fascia. However, the toe-box should also be roomy enough to accommodate the expansions that come with a rise in temperature.
You can do a simple test that entails holding the shoes on both ends and trying to fold it so as to determine the flexibility of the shoe. If the toe box just bends a little while the rest of the shoe remains sturdy, it is the right quality.
5. Upper Material
Individuals with this condition will have endless options when it comes to the material, but this does not make it least important. Although it might not affect the support and shock absorption capabilities of the shoe, the material will affect its comfort.
The best plantar fasciitis shoes material is one that is durable and makes the shoe breathable and comfortable. Genuine leather is an excellent choice if you want dress shoes that you can wear to work while a material that also includes mesh for breathability is perfect for playing tennis and running.
There are still numerous other features that you should consider when shopping for plantar fasciitis shoes such as the price, customer reviews, and even the brand. But, the five above are the most important ones because they determine how supportive and comfortable the shoe will be on your feet. It is also important to know that what works for other people might not work for you and so in many instances, it is necessary to try out different types and brands before you get something that is perfect for your feet.