Best Sandals For Plantar Fasciitis – Buying Guide And Reviews
Few other foot problems are as painful as plantar fasciitis. This common foot problem is a result of overstretching and overuse of the plantar fascia ligament on the foot which causes micro tears and swelling. The pain can be unbearable especially when you make your first steps in the morning or after sitting for long.
Athletes, senior citizens, and individuals that have to be on their feet all day are more prone to getting plantar fasciitis. But, the best news is that it is a manageable and treatable foot problem. Losing some weight, massage, stretch exercises, wearing night splint and icing your feet are some of the best treatments. However, most of these remedies will work best if you also change your footwear and wear something supportive enough.
Shoes for plantar fasciitis come in all styles and designs, but sandals seem to be the most popular with both men and women as they are supportive, comfortable and breathable. But before you go and buy a pair it is vital to understand the differences between these flip-flops and the regular ones. It will also be wise to know how to choose the best sandals for plantar fasciitis from the various types and brands on the market.
Top 5 Best Sandals For Plantar Fasciitis
For Women 2017
Top 4 Best Sandals For Plantar Fasciitis
For Men 2017
Regular Sandals Vs. Sandals For Plantar Fasciitis
If you do not have a pair of sandals for plantar fasciitis or you have never tried them out, you cannot tell them apart from the regular ones just by looking at them. These shoes still look stylish like the regular ones and have all the traits that you would expect to see on a good pair of flip-flops.
So what makes them different? While regular sandals will only concentrate on the beauty aspects of the footwear and comfort, those for plantar fasciitis also put a lot emphasis on providing support for the feet. Flip-flops for plantar fasciitis offer more arch support and hence prevent the arch from collapsing which can lead to tears on the plantar fascia.
Unlike regular sandals, the ones for plantar fasciitis will also have more cushioning to absorb the shock that comes from walking or standing on hard surfaces. This shock absorption helps to speed up the plantar fascia’s healing process and prevents the problem from worsening.
Another difference between the two sandal types is that the special ones for plantar fasciitis will not be flat and will instead conform to the natural alignment of the foot. And this ensures that the foot is getting sufficient support in all the crucial areas.
Things To Consider When Choosing The Best Sandals For Plantar Fasciitis
It is always easier to choose a pair of sneakers for plantar fasciitis than picking sandals or flip-flops for plantar fasciitis. Getting the best flip-flops for plantar fasciitis can be challenging because most of the leading shoe brands will focus more on producing sneakers since the problem affects athletes the most. But, with the right information, it is still possible to get a good pair of sandals for plantar fasciitis.
So what should you consider when shopping for these sandals?
Most people will not put as much importance to the fit when buying sandals as they would with sneakers and other shoe types. But, it is an essential factor and probably one of the first things that you should consider. For a pair of sandals to have a “good fit” you should consider factors like the width, length and arch height.
A pair of flip-flops for plantar fasciitis should not be too long and neither should it be too short for your feet. The sandals should be just long enough for your feet to sit in the middle of the midsole snugly. For the width, it is the same as the length, and you should ensure that your feet do not hang on the side and there is also not a lot of unutilized space.
The arch height, on the other hand, will depend on your feet type but anything between 16 and 19mm seems to work well for most adults.
Support is one of the critical factors that make sandals for plantar fasciitis different from the regular ones. And so any pair that you buy should provide enough support for your problematic feet.
It is important to remember that the pain that comes with plantar fasciitis is due to contracted or overstretched muscles. And so you need to wear sandals that provide heel cups and excellent support to relax the muscles. Flip-flops with ample foot support also help to distribute the force of impact evenly and hence reducing the stress on the feet to ease the pain.
The shape and contour of a sandal's footbed will also affect the comfort, and so you should keep this fact in mind when shopping for the footwear. But, it is essential to know that feet are not the same and so no one footbed shape will work well for all individuals with plantar fasciitis.
The right idea is always to go for a footbed that mirrors your foot’s profile or something very close. Since getting something that suits your feet correctly is almost impossible the best idea is to try out several pairs of sandals and settle for the one that is the closest. But if you have the financial capability you can always get some custom sandals with a footbed that is an exact match for your feet.
Comfort and Durability
It goes without saying that comfort should be your top priority when shopping for sandals for plantar fasciitis. Since your feet are swollen and painful, you need to wear something that is comfortable and relaxing. Apart from the support and cushioning other factors like the sandal material and outsole will also affect the comfort.
You will not want to buy a new pair of sandals every few months. Even if you go for the cheap brands, they can be expensive in the long run if you have to buy a new pair after every couple of months. And so it is important to always go for flip flops with sturdy materials such as high-density rubber, polyester, and leather.
Price is an essential factor when buying anything and sandals for plantar fasciitis are not an exception. Since you might want to have more than one pair, it is necessary to go for something within a reasonable price range. Remember that there is always something for every budget. But make sure you never compromise on the quality and comfort of your sandals just to save a few bucks.
The best sandals for plantar fasciitis should not compromise on the appearance just because they are comfortable. Since you will be wearing the footwear when going out of the house, you should always make sure that you go for something stylish. And to make sure that the style goes with the occasion you should consider whether to go for sporty or casual sandals. But regardless of what you pick make sure that they come in a beautiful design and with some beautiful patterns and colors.
Top 5 Sandals For Plantar Fasciitis For Women Reviews
Orthaheel Tide Slide In Orthopedic Sandals
The Orthaheel Slide In sandal provides a stylish look and excellent support to help you deal with your problematic feet. It comes in a dozen color combinations to give you more options and uses different technologies to ensure maximum comfort for ladies with plantar fasciitis. Critical among these features is the polyurethane upper section that is both stylish and very comfortable.
These flip flops have a soft woven toe post that combines with the smooth woven strap to give ladies a comfortable fit. The motion control footbed that is designed by a podiatrist also features a deep heel cup that supports and helps to restore your feet back to their natural position. And to reduce stress on your feet, the sandals come with an EVA midsole that is also very useful in shock absorption. For traction, you get a handmade TPR outsole that features a wave-patterned tread.
- It features a polyurethane upper that is both stylish and comfortable.
- You can get it in half a dozen different colors.
- The motion control footbed conforms to the natural alignment of your foot to support and realign it back to the correct position
- It has a soft woven toe post that combines with the foam-lined strap to give you a comfortable fit.
- The midsole is very useful in shock absorption and reducing stress on your feet
- You always get excellent traction thanks to the TPR outsole.
- It is available in all regular sizes for adult women.
- There are some complaints about the sizes being a little off.
- They will take more time to get used to than regular flip flops.
Vionic with Orthaheel - Paros Women’s Sandals
If you are on the market for the best sandals for plantar fasciitis that you can wear when running errands the Paros from Vionic is an excellent pick. It features a natural cork up and a comfortable footbed with a microfiber cover.
The sandals have some comfortable straps that you can adjust at three different points to ensure you always get a custom and very comfortable fit. They also come with an EVA midsole that is lightweight and flexible enough for shock absorption and to reduce stress on the feet.
Vionic makes these sandals with Orthaheel technology to ensure they hug your arches and provide a supportive feel. This tech is handy in treating plantar fasciitis. The outsole is rubber and with a patterned tread that offers excellent traction on various surfaces. You can get these beautiful sandals in different colors that include black, white pearl and red. They are also available in whole sizes from 5 to 11.
- The lightweight and flexible EVA midsole will absorb shock and reduce stress on your feet and ankles.
- It has a genuine leather upper for comfort and durability.
- The rubber sole provides excellent traction on all surfaces and is also useful for shock absorption.
- It comes in six different colors that include black and white pearl.
- You can adjust the straps at three different points for a custom and comfortable fit.
- Vionic makes it with Orthaheel technology to hug and support your feet.
- It is only available in whole sizes.
- The actual colors do not match the description, and this is more so for the white ones.
- If you do not like shiny sandals, these might not impress you.
Vionic with Orthaheel Technology-Women’s Bella II Sandals
The Vionic Bella II ensure long-lasting comfort for ladies with plantar fasciitis and helps to speed up the healing process. Vionic makes them with a smart EVA midsole that offers excellent support and is very useful in reducing pain and fatigue throughout your knees and ankles. These sandals also feature a biomechanical orthotic footbed that has a deep heel cup to provide support and enhance stability.
For the upper section, Vionic uses a genuine leather material to ensure that the sandals will last for a long time. Also, you get to choose from several colors. The rubber sole provides excellent traction on all surfaces thanks to the patterned tread design. Cleaning these sandals is also quite easy as you only need to wipe them with a damp cloth.
- The genuine leather upper makes the sandals very durable
- There are more than two dozen different colors.
- It has an Orthotic footbed with a deep heel cup that will help to realign the foot to its natural position.
- An EVA midsole helps to reduce pressure on the feet and is also useful for shock absorption.
- The rubber outsole with patterned tread will offer excellent grip on different surfaces.
- These sandals are easy to clean as you only need to wipe with a damp cloth.
- It has a cushy insole lined with microfibers.
- These sandals do not come in half sizes.
- The heel support is not enough for some ladies with plantar fasciitis.
OluKai Ohana Women’s Sandals
The Olukai Ohana Women's Sandals are a pair of comfortable multi-purpose sandals that you can wear in any environment. They are quick drying and comfy flip flops that are also very supportive for ladies with plantar fasciitis. And they feature a synthetic strap that is water resistant and a soft nylon toe webbing that is very comfortable on your feet.
The sandals feature a molded EVA midsole with a unique drop-in footbed that provides comfort and a lot of support. This drop-in comfort will also make them fit better and feel great on the feet. For the outsole, you can get gum rubber or non-marking rubber that is razor siped to provide excellent traction even on wet surfaces. These soles will also not leave marks on any surface.
- The molded EVA midsole also features a drop-in footbed for comfort and extra support.
- OluKai makes it with breathable and very durable materials.
- They are water resistant and quick drying for use in wet environments.
- The sporty look is lovely, and it makes the sandals perfect for the summer outdoor look.
- These are well built flip flops that will last for many years.
- The manufacturer includes a neoprene foam backer and jersey knit lining to provide extra protection
- These flip-flops have a non-marking rubber outsole with some razor siped edges to ensure excellent grip even on wet surfaces.
- They take a long time to break-in.
- The sizes run a little large.
Women’s Vionic Tide II Sandals
The Tide II is a fantastic pair of flip-flops that you can wear all day as they provide maximum comfort and are also very supportive. They feature a stylish upper section that combines leather and nylon that is also very comfortable on your foot. Their orthotic footbed comes with a deep heel cup that will be very helpful for ladies with plantar fasciitis. This footbed will help to restore your foot to its natural alignment.
The EVA midsole is lightweight and flexible to make it efficient in shock absorption, and it also helps to reduce stress on your feet. Traction should also not be a problem with these sandals because they come with a durable TPR outsole that features a wave-patterned tread.
- It features a leather and nylon upper section with a stylish trim.
- The EVA midsole will absorb shock to reduce stress on the feet.
- There are plenty of colors and strap patterns available.
- It also features Orthafeel technology that is very helpful for plantar fasciitis.
- You always get a comfortable fit thanks to the foam-lined strap and woven toe post combination.
- The durable TPR outsole will provide excellent traction.
- The synthetic upper section material is not very durable.
- It takes longer to get used to the extra arch support.
- There are a few complaints about the sizes not being right.
Top 4 Sandals For Plantar Fasciitis For Men Reviews
Footminders BALTRA Unisex Orthotic Arch Support Sandals
Any man that is struggling with plantar fasciitis will love these shoes as they are just perfect. They offer everything from comfort and support to a stylish look. And they also have a unisex design meaning that ladies can wear them too. The design also makes them multipurpose sandals that you can wear around the house and when going to the beach or park.
These flip-flops provide excellent arch support, and they will be helpful in correcting overpronation. Whether or not you have flat feet, these anatomically molded slippers will support your arches for maximum comfort. They also feature an EVA construction to cushion your feet and absorb all the unwanted shock that comes from walking or standing. The sole is a textured non-slip rubber that will prevent slipping and guarantee excellent traction for all surfaces. These flip-flops come in full sizes and two colors which are black and navy blue.
- They are multipurpose sandals that you can wear almost anywhere.
- Anyone including those that do not have flat feet can wear them.
- The sandals are anatomically molded to support foot arches.
- They enhance lateral stability with their deep heel cups.
- You can wear them all day because the neoprene cushioned straps are comfortable enough.
- With these shoes, you always get a balanced and stable walking motion.
- They feature an EVA midsole and rubber outsole.
- The unisex design means that even ladies can wear them.
- They only come in full sizes.
- You do not get many options when it comes to the colors.
OluKai Ohana Men’s Flops
OluKai Ohana Flip Flops for men are some of the most comfortable footwear that you will ever wear. They are also very supportive hence making them perfect for men with plantar fasciitis. These flip flops feature a nubuck leather upper section that is water resistant and with an ultra-soft jersey knit lining and a neoprene backing.
The footbed features a compression molded EVA midsole. This midsole also has a soft ICEVA drop-in footbed that will provide a lot of support and is also very comfortable. And the outsole is non-marking rubber with an appealing coral reef lug design that gives it some extra traction. The manufacturer uses a soft nylon toe post for comfort and the sandals also feature embroidered detail and a laser-etched logo on the straps.
- They feature a comfortable and durable synthetic construction.
- The EVA arch provides all day long support and shock absorption.
- These sandals come with a non-marking rubber sole that also provides excellent traction.
- The water-resistant design makes it suitable for wearing in different conditions.
- OluKai uses a soft nylon toe post to enhance the comfort.
- The embroidered detail and laser-etched logo make the sandals look stylish.
- Plenty of colors available and they all look very impressive.
- It also features an embroidered detail and an appealing laser-etched logo.
- There are no half sizes for these sandals.
- These flip-flops are still not as durable as most people would wish.
OOFOS Unisex Ooriginal Thong Flip Flop
Flip flops come in many styles, but molded ones like these from OOFOS seem to be what most people prefer. They are unisex sandals that are exceptionally comfortable, and you will want to have them on your feet for a long time. These flip-flops will be very helpful for post-workout recovery and individuals with plantar fasciitis will also love the support and comfort.
Although these molded sandals have a simple design, they also feature a molded footbed that will absorb the impact when walking or standing and cradle your arches to ensure you move naturally. They are also very breathable along the straps thanks to the small cutout, and so your feet will not sweat around the straps. The material and design make these sandals easy to clean and they also dry quickly. Also, they will absorb more shock than most others.
- The fit is just perfect, and most people will not have any issues with the sizes.
- These are exceptionally comfortable flip flops that you will always enjoy wearing.
- The unique footbed design will absorb the impact and cradle your arches so that you can walk naturally.
- Breathability is guaranteed around the straps thanks to the small cutout.
- They are very easy to clean and will also dry quickly
- There are more than a dozen color options available.
- They are designed with materials that absorb more shock than most others.
- They are almost too soft.
- The plain one color design might not appeal to some people.
- These sandals are not very ideal for the outdoors.
Vionic Jon Men's Slip-on Orthotic Sandal
If you do not like the thong style sandals for plantar fasciitis here is a high-quality slip-on option from Vionic for you. These shoes are one if the most comfortable pair of slip-ons that you will get anywhere. And apart from comfort they also offer adequate support and cushioning for your feet. They feature a full grain leather upper section that guarantees that they will last for many years.
These slip-on sandals come with some comfortable dual straps that are also adjustable to give you a custom fit. Vionic makes them with Orthaheel Technology, and they feature a medium density EVA midsole that is very flexible and lightweight. This midsole is vital for shock absorption, and it helps to reduce stress on your feet. These sandals also provide a superior arch support which is just what you need to deal with plantar fasciitis. And for the outsole, you get a durable rubber sole with patterned tread that provides excellent traction on different surfaces.
- The upper section is a full grain leather to ensure maximum durability.
- These sandals have some comfortable wide dual straps that are also adjustable.
- It has a superior arch support that is perfect for dealing with plantar fasciitis and other foot problems.
- The flexible and lightweight medium-density EVA midsole will absorb most of the shock and reduce the stress on your feet.
- These sandals have some leather and textile linings that are very soft and breathable.
- This pair of sandals also utilizes Vionic’s Orthaheel technology.
- Vionic gives them a durable rubber sole that also provides excellent traction on all surfaces.
- They are not very comfortable for men with wide feet.
- These sandals would be better with more color options.
Plantar fasciitis should never dictate what you can and cannot wear when it comes to footwear. Whether you prefer to wear sneakers or sandals, there are many shoe brands out there that make particular ones for people with plantar fasciitis. And the good thing is that they are still as stylish as regular ones and you can get them in all your favorite colors and patterns.
If you are looking for a pair of sandals that you can wear when you have plantar fasciitis the first thing is to understand what sets it apart from the regular ones. Also, you should know the factors to look for when shopping, and they include things like the fit, support and footbed shape. With these things in mind and our reviews above of some of the top plantar fasciitis flip flops for men and women, you should not have any difficulty getting the best sandals for plantar fasciitis.