How To Choose The Best Plantar Fasciitis Night Splints
If you are a runner or running is part of your workout routine plantar fasciitis is one of the most common injuries that you are likely to get. The high prevalence of this foot problem means that many companies in the sports industry are always investing money in research to come up with products that will help runners deal with the problem.
There are treatments available, and they include exercises that aim at stretching the plantar fascia ligament but wearing night splints is one of the remedies that most runners trust and use for relief.
Top 5 Best Plantar Fasciitis Night Splints Reviews 2017
1. Plantar Fasciitis Posterior Night Splint By MARS Wellness
Finding the best plantar fasciitis night splints should not be a problem. And this is because there are many types available on the market. This particular one from MARS Wellness has everything that you need to control the pain from your plantar fasciitis and to aid it in healing.
The splint comes with three padded straps that are also adjustable, and they help to ensure that it stays in place throughout the night. Some dual tension straps also allow you to increase the foot angle and flexion so that you can position your feet in the exact position that you want.
These splints are also lightweight and padded, the bottom has a non-slip tread, wedges are removable, and the padding is also washable. Their open design is also beneficial for keeping your feet dry, and they are also available in three different sizes.
- You can get the posterior brace in three different sizes, and so you can almost be sure of finding a splint with a perfect fit
- These braces are lightweight enough to ensure that they do not affect your movement as you turn in your sleep.
- Their low profile shell is sturdy and also very breathable.
- They come in an open splint design which will keep your feet dry and fresh.
- You do not have to worry about slipping because the bottom has a non-slip tread.
- The straps are adjustable to give you a custom fit.
- These splints are padded, and they also have a wedge that you can remove.
- It is possible to wash the padding, and this makes it easy to keep the splints clean.
- The straps that run across your feet make them hard to remove.
- They are quite uncomfortable if you try to walk when wearing them.
- Some people complain that the straps are a little short for them.
2. Plantar Fasciitis Night Splint By Vive - Soft Night Splint for Plantar Fasciitis
This product is what those individuals looking for something soft that is useful in dealing with plantar fasciitis should buy. The splint comes in a unique and versatile design that makes it possible to wear it on any foot, and it has a padded wedge for elevating your leg to reduce inflammation and to make you comfortable.
It has some strong straps that are also adjustable, and they help you customize the fit while also keeping it in place securely. The soft padding will comfort your aching feet, and its breathability and lightweight make it possible to wear it for several hours.
- They have a foam wedge with excellent padding that helps in foot elevation and increasing comfort.
- The sturdy straps hold it in place securely and give users a custom fit.
- Vive produces these splints with an extra soft padding for maximum comfort.
- You can wear the brace on either leg because their design is versatile.
- Breathability and lightweight make them perfect for wearing for several hours continuously.
- It is available in numerous sizes, and most users find that they fit as expected.
- These plantar fasciitis splints are effective in dealing with the foot pain.
- You have to be extra-careful when walking as there is no sole on these splints.
- The arch needs a little raise, and extra padding on the heel would also make it better.
- It does not have enough straps to keep it secure as you sleep.
- The bright color makes it hard to clean and maintain.
3. StabilityAce Plantar Fasciitis Night Splint w/ 2 Stretch Wedge Sizes and Foot Massage Ball
This night splint by StabilityAce comes in four shoe sizes for both men and women, and so you can be confident of finding one that is your exact size. The splint has comfortable latex free foam that is also ideal for dealing with different foot issues.
It has two removable and different size wedges that will come in handy when getting your foot in the right position. You can wear the night brace on either foot, it has some padded buckles, and you also get a small ball for massaging your feet when you buy this product.
- You can wear it in any foot because the design is not specific for a particular foot.
- The padded buckles help with immobilization when you are sleeping.
- It is available in all the main sizes for both men and women.
- You also get a foot massage ball when you buy these splints.
- It is an extra comfortable and also very lightweight brace.
- Wearing and removing this night splint is very simple.
- Some users complain that their braces are larger than the description.
- You cannot walk with this splint.
- There are also a few customer complaints about sleeping difficulties when wearing it.
4. Cramer Dorsal Night Splint
Cramer makes this dorsal style splint with a clamshell design that is effective in keeping the foot in a neutral position so as to support the heel, and prevent contracture.
The clamshell is also very comfortable on the foot and durable to ensure that the splint serves you for long. It also has some unique straps with a triple stitching that prevents stretching so as to provide maximum support.
The brace is large enough, and it can fit either of your legs. Also, it is light, it comes with a low profile, and it has minimal retention of heat for impressive comfort.
- It is one of the most dynamic splints when it comes to holding the leg in one position.
- They do not look bulky, and they also feel lightweight.
- The straps have triple stitching to make sure that the do not stretch so as to provide reliable support and fit.
- It has a very soft cushioning and minimal irritation.
- The clamshell design is effective in keeping the foot in place and also very durable.
- The versatile fit means that you can wear it on both your legs.
- This plantar fasciitis splint provides minimal heat retention as you sleep to ensure maximum comfort.
- It is useful in relieving the pain that comes with plantar fasciitis and other foot problems.
- It is quite large which means that it is not ideal for people with small or narrow feet.
- Sometimes it can slip when you are sleeping.
- This splint will cause your foot to go numb if you adjust it too tight.
5. Bird and Cronin Night Splint
Bird and Cronin Night Splint is another product that qualifies as one of the best plantar fasciitis night splints on the market. It has some nice flexion straps that are adjustable to stretch your plantar fascia gently.
The 3D molding gives it maximum comfort, and it also has foam padding in all the right places. For extra comfort, the interior also has a lycra lining that you can remove for washing, and it also enhances breathability.
The other things that set Form Fit apart from others include the straps with foam padding and lycra lining, lightweight, low-profile shell, and center-release buckles.
- It has some adjustable flexion straps that will help to stretch the plantar fascia gently.
- This splint has padding in all the right places which makes it extra comfortable.
- Bird and Cronin Night Splint comes with an interior that has a lycra lining that is breathable and also washable.
- The straps have a lycra lining and foam padding for comfort.
- Bird and Cronin Night Splint has center-release buckles that are user-friendly, and they simplify the use.
- The shell has a low profile, and it is also lightweight, breathable and very sturdy.
- A slip-resistant sole makes it possible to move around the house when wearing it.
- The Bird and Cronin Night Splint is quite expensive.
- Sizing is not easy for some individuals.
- Sometimes this splint can get quite hot.
What Are Plantar Fasciitis Night Splints?
Night Splints or braces are sock-like or rigid devices that treat conditions like Achilles tendinopathy and plantar fasciitis. The benefits from these reinforcements come from their ability to maintain the length of your plantar fascia, and they do this by holding the foot while the toes point upwards. You should wear these braces at night when going to bed so that they can stretch your plantar fascia ligament to reduce the stress on it.
These braces can be cumbersome and inconvenient to wear but almost all runners that use them find them very useful. Individuals that use braces will find that their first steps in the morning are less painful and the pain will go away almost entirely in the following weeks. And this is because the splints work by keeping the feet in a fixed position to prevent excessive contraction of the foot sole overnight.
Benefits Of Using Plantar Fasciitis Night Splints
Runners or users of these splints tend to report varying benefits, and this is because every plantar fasciitis problem does not feel the same and so the advantages that you get will also change from one individual to the other. However, some of the general benefits that you can expect from the braces include the following.
- By positioning the feet in a 90-degree position, the braces help to stretch the fascia and lighten your first step in the morning.
- The splints keep the Achilles tendon and muscles on the calf in the right manner to ensure that they do not make the plantar fasciitis worse.
- It is a more affordable and efficient way of dealing with this common foot problem.
- They have an ability to ease the pain and also assist in the healing of the plantar fascia ligament.
Things To Consider When Choosing The Best Plantar Fasciitis Night Splints
Plantar fasciitis is a very painful foot problem, and those that have it cannot wait to get some relief. However, before you buy your night splints, it is important to have enough information about them because this is what will help you choose the best. To ensure that you get the best, you should always consider the following important factors.
The first thing that you should know when shopping for plantar fasciitis brace is that there are two main types available which are the boot and dorsal. Although both serve the same purpose, they differ in appearance, and their construction design means that they are for wearing on opposite sides of the feet.
The Dorsal brace comes with a plastic support that runs along the shin or on the upper part of the foot. This plastic helps to hold the feet at the 90-degree position, and it leaves the arch and heel free. The splint will stretch your plantar fascia by pulling the toes upward, and this also will cause the Achilles tendon to stretch.
- Leaving the heel and arch free enhances breathability.
- The hard plastic support will always hold the foot in place firmly.
- It has some high-quality materials that make it very durable.
- This splint is comfortable, and this makes it suitable for wearing for long durations.
- It has large straps that can cause excessive sweating.
- Foot slippage is possible due to the design.
- You cannot adjust the splint to different stretching angles.
The Boot brace or splint is in many cases larger than the Dorsal. Its spine is at the back of the leg, and its design ensures that it runs under the foot instead of going above it. The other thing that makes it unique is the fact that it allows the users to adjust the stretching angle so that they can start at the lowest and increase it gradually.
- Varying the stretching angles is possible.
- Users find it easy to wear, and it is also quite comfortable.
- Most are washable for easy maintenance.
- Some people complain about their toes going numb.
- They are too large which can make them uncomfortable.
- It is not easy to walk when wearing them.
The splint will remain in your leg throughout the night because this is the only way to ensure that it helps you. If the brace is not comfortable or it feels unbearable to wear it will not be possible to wear it for the eight or more hours that you will be asleep.
As important as it might be for the braces to maintain the right position it is also vital to make sure that whatever you buy is comfortable enough. Always look for something with enough padding or cushioning and a soft lining. Also, ensure that the strapping system on the brace has some protection between the closure and the leg to prevent irritation.
Proper airflow is always essential for anything that you wear on your feet. The best plantar fasciitis night splints are those that are not only comfortable but also ensure maximum breathability. You still need to get good and enough sleep even when wearing the brace but this is only possible if it is not sweaty. An ideal one has numerous open spots or a mesh material to allow air to flow in and out.
Whereas some splints will come in different sizes other are those that are in a one size fit all. Regardless of what you go for it is important to make sure that you get the fit right or that the brace has an adjustment mechanism to ensure this. The adjustment straps should also be in the right places to make sure that they hold the leg in place firmly and to ensure that you subject it to the right tension.
No matter how breathable the night splint might be it will still get dirty after some time and so you need to clean it. A good brace should come in a material that makes it easy to clean, and the manufacturer should also give instructions on how to do it. Most modern ones are washable, and so you will not have to worry about maintenance.
Price and Reviews
Price is another major factor that you should take into account so as to get the best plantar fasciitis night splints. Always go for something that is comfortable and fits well but is within your budget. Also, do not forget to read customer reviews so that you can know the experiences of other runners that use the braces before you buy them.
The plantar fasciitis brace is the best gift that a person with this common foot problem can get. Although there are different types available in the market, most are useful in giving you relief and helping the feet heal fast. And by considering the factors above you will be able to find night splints that will work well for you.
You can also find shoes for plantar fasciitis at Top 5 Best Shoes For Plantar Fasciitis.